Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SHELLAC…the “Miracle” Manicure!!!

Good afternoon!

Wow…two blog posts in one day! Well, when the creative juices are flowing, I just go with it---especially when I have the time. Anyhoo, I’m into natural hair and I’m also into natural nails. Now, I’m not knocking artificial nair wearers because I’ve done it in the past. However, wearing acrylics/gel sets always made my nails so flimsy. My natural nails grow very nicely and they hold up well so I decided to invest in some materials to do my own nails at home, but have the look of a nail salon service.
That’s when I discovered….SHELLAC! I started hearing about the miraculous manicure that can last up to 14 days without chipping. Well, I went to the Shellac website to find a nalon salon in my city that did Shellac manicures. I found one and went to find out what all the hype was about. Well….I received a mediocre Shellac manicure from the place and kind of wasn’t feeling the results. I had watched many reviews on YouTube so I felt confident in the product, but the nail technician didn’t do the application correctly. He also wasn’t using all the products from the CND Shellac line so that probably contributed to that mess of a manicure I received. I would not be paying anyone $35 for a Shellac manicure that couldn’t outlast my usual $10 manicure.
So….I, the self-professed DIY Queen, went on Amazon and bought all the things I needed to do Shellac Manicures at home. I bought the CND Shellac base coat, UV nail colors, and base coat. I also bought a UV lamp, which you must have to do the Shellac manicures at home. Now, the Shellac website says you should only use their special UV lamp to cure the manicure, but I bought a comparable lamp and my manicures last around 2 weeks. I just wasn’t about to pay hundreds of dollars for the CND UV lamp. I bought a $50 lamp and it it’s working like a charm.  (I will do a tutorial soon on how to do your own Shellac manicure at home!)
I normally do my manicures in Wildfire or Rosebud, but my nails grow so fast that you can see the new growth after like a week. Lately, I’ve been doing clear manicures with a design. To do the clear manicures, I just use the CND Shellac base coat and top coat. I apply the design to my nail before applying any CND products.  

This is my current mani! I did this 4 days ago...

I like the Shellac manicures because they last and also, they help my nails feel more sturdy than usual. My nails hardly ever break anymore, which I know is partly because due to the new vitamins I am taking, but the Shellac contributes as well. I sometimes give my nails a break from the Shellac or when my nails or clear, I might go more than three weeks before redoing because I’m lazy and they still look nice. I would definitely recommend Shellac manicures to someone who to stop wearing artificial nails. They are so shiny and they definitely have that “nail salon look”, when done properly!
Don’t forget my challenge for the day; flash those pearly whites to someone! You never know how much a small positive action can affect someone’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment