Sunday, November 13, 2011

How I Wash My Natural Hair

Hey everyone!

(((Don't forget about my Beauty on a Budget Giveway! Click here to find out how you can enter to win!!!)))

As always, the weekend has almost flown by! Whyyyyyy???? Oh well...that's life! Can't be the weekend all the time....*sigh*

So, I've been telling you all that I would start posting about my hair routine and products I am using. This post will be the first of several which explain how I care for my hair, what products I use on my hair, what styles I do, etc. This weekend, I took  a few pictures of what I do when I wash my hair so I could share with you. The way I wash my hair isn't really complex or too time consuming. My "hair washing day" is on Saturday. I wake up early to give my hair some time to air dry if I have somewhere to go later on in the day, especially since the temperatures have dropped. In the warmer months, I don't mind leaving the house with damp hair. To start, I dampen my hair with my spray bottle. (It normally has water and some type of oil in it. Side note: Throughout the week, I lightly mist my hair with water for moisture and apply castor oil to my ends to seal in that moisture.) Wetting my hair makes it easier to do the next step.



I part my hair in 8 sections and make those sections into large twists. I apply my choice of conditioner (I normally use Suave Naturals Coconut, but lately, I've been using Tea Tree Mint Conditioner by Organix and my hair loves it!!!) to the twists, apply a plastic cap, and go do whatever I need to do. That could be tending to my 4 month old baby or getting juice for my 3 year old or finding something for my husband or taking care chores around the house. Basically, I let the conditioner sit for a while. How long depends on how much time I have on that day. I usually keep it on for at least 10-15 minutes.
Top Picture: My hair in 8 large twists
Bottom Picture: The conditioner I am currently using.
Top Picture: Conditioner applied to twists.
Bottom Picture: Plastic cap on to allow conditioner to sit.









 
When I wash the conditioner out, I do it section by section. I start at the back of my head. I unravel a twist and use my wide-tooth comb to go through the section. I start at the ends of my hair and work up to the root. Once I feel the section is properly detangled and the conditioner is all gone, I move on to the next twist. I do this to my entire head.

Washing my hair this way really helps to minimize tangling. Also, it makes it easy for me to style my hair. I can easy divide each section and do two-strand twists or bantu knots or band my hair to stretch it for a bun. After washing, I apply my products and go on to style my hair---which will be another post so stay tuned!

 If you have your own tips or tricks for washing your hair, let me know!

For today, remember that prayer really can change things! If you are in a situation that you can't see a way out, try prayer. It has worked so many times for me. Until next time, be blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment