Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hello Shrinkage!

Hey Y'all!

This post will be short, but I just want to ramble a little bit about something natural hair divas deal with now since giving up relaxers. Some of us seem to have deal with it more than others (depending on your hair texture), but most curly/coily/kinky divas deal with SHRINKAGE.

For me, shrinkage isn't a matter of bad or good. It's just something you deal with in whatever way pleases you. Some counter shrinkage by doing styles that stretch their hair like braids or twists. Some choose to embrace the shrinkage by doing WnG styles or rocking puffs. Some, like me, just do our hair however we feel and if it looks stretched, cool. If it looks like we only have 4 or 5 inches of hair, cool. Shrinkage used to really get on my nerves because it seemed liked my hair wasn't growing, but when I saw that my hair was healthy and growing, I stopped being concerned with it. Tip: Something that helped me was taking pictures of my hair. After a few months, I go back and look at the pictures and guess what? It is easy to see the growth that way.

Don't let shrinkage bum you out! If you don't like it, rock styles that help stretch your hair. If you don't mind, leave it be. No matter how you wear your hair, make sure you are moisturizing your hair and sealing those ends with an oil to lock in the moisture. Dry hair will lead to breakage and be mindful of your ends! Happy hair is healthy hair!

2 comments: