Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bunning Aint Easy...But I've Got To Do It!

Good Afternoon Y’all!
Yes...I let the Southern gal in me come out at times. Don’t judge me! This post probably will not be too long, but I might get carried away so who knows??? Anyhoo, I told myself that I SHALL be using protective styles this fall and winter to help me maintain moisture, protect my ends, and help me reach my length goals. Last year, I mainly used Creta Girl-my FAV half-wig by Freetress-to do protective styling, but I’m really not feeling weaves or wigs this year so I decided to do protective styles with my own hair. I’m utilizing buns and twists for my protective styles and so far, I’ve been staying on track! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to rock puffs-from curly and defined to big and bushy-but when I wear my hair in puffs for too long, I experience the HATED SSK (single strand knots) so I’m saving my beloved styles for the weekend.
Last night, my annoyingly loving husband told me he was tired of the bun style I’ve been rocking the last few days. He said it made me look like an old lady. Looking older is not a bad thing for me yet because even though I’m getting close to 30, I’m often mistaken for a teenager. Most of the time, I laugh it off but it can get annoying when people see me with my two boys and I just know they are trying to see if they recognize me from an episode of “Teen Mom” or “16 and Pregnant”.

Old Lady Bun

Ok ok ok…back to my bun. My husband requested one of my puff styles (which tempted me so badly), but I told him I had some hair goals and part of reaching those goals would include the bun. I told him I’d revamp my bun and he said okay. My original bun was positioned at the nape of my neck, with a diagonal part in the front. Nothing fancy, but it served its purpose.
To revamp my bun, I sectioned off some hair in the front and did a couple two strand twists. Then, I moved my bun from the nape of my neck to a higher position on my head. It’s not at the top of my head, but it’s not as low as it was earlier this week. I went to sleep and when I woke up, I took the twists down to create a bang in the front. (One of my good friends who is a Natural often wears bangs and I thought of her when I did this style. S/O to Annie Mae!) To keep this style for the next couple days, I’ll sleep in my satin bonnet and re-twist the hair in the front at night. Of course, I’ll use my products to keep the moisture in my hair. (I’ll do another post soon about my products and hair routine!)
Revamped Old Lady Bun
When I showed my husband the slightly revamped looked, he said, “Yeah, I like that. It’s different!” Now, the bun is really similar to the other one but you know how men can be. I’ll be rocking this style until this weekend when I get to….UNLEASH THE CURLS!
So, my challenge for you today is simple. Please make sure you’re right with God. Time waits for no one and we never know when it’s going to be time for us to fade to black and meet our Maker. Whatever it takes for you to get it right, just get it right! If you need to forgive, forgive! If you need to stop lying, stop lying. If you need to confess that Jesus Christ is the son of God and accept Him into your heart, please do that. Whatever is hindering you, take care of it right now because waiting a few moments might be too late! Be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Amen Girlie!! I really like you bun...the added twist spices it up a bit! :-) Keep doing it up girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I like your bun--too bad I can't make one. I can do two-strand twists, braids, & flat twists but can't make a bun.
    ....I can only post Anonymously...
    AnnieM>.

    ReplyDelete