Monday, November 7, 2011

Au Natural…Why I Jumped on the Natural Hair “Bandwagon”

Heyyyyy everyone!
So, I’ve been natural a little over 2 years now. (Brief History: I stop relaxing in September of 2009. After 10 months of transitioning, I did the big chop and got rid of my relaxed ends.) I didn’t go natural for political or health reasons. I mainly went natural because I was SICK of salons---the wait, the prices, the attitudes…I was over it! Also, I’ve always like big hair and I was paying stylists to give me sew-in styles that mimicked the look of an afro or kinky curls. One day, my husband asked me, “Wouldn’t your hair look like that if you didn’t get a perm? Then we wouldn’t have to pay for it.” I think he was saying it jokingly to make me mindful of what I was spending on my hair, but that made a light bulb go off in my head. I was already over the salon experience and the prospect of saving money made going natural seem like an option. I did a lot of research via YouTube, hair forums, and some of my friends who are natural and I decided that it was something I could try!
Yep…that’s how I became a natural hair DIVA and my only regret it that I should have done it sooner! I recently put myself in “rehab” because I was definitely becoming a product junkie since my hair has gotten longer and I wanted to try new things with it. I’m currently using the Shea Moisture products (LOVE! THEM!) and my same old other staples like Suave Natural Coconut Shampoo (only once a month), Suave Natural Coconut Conditioner, Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel, Castor Oil, and good ol’ water! I’ll post later about my hair routine (which is very simple because I don’t have time to be doing the MOST).
Oh…I had a great time this weekend! I went to a natural hair meet up that the CEO of Huetiful Steamer put on here in my city. I met a lot of great ladies with GORGEOUS hair! It made me want to play in my hair, but I’m treating my HIHD (Hands in Hair Disease) because I’ve gotta make myself stick to the protective styling my hair needs during these colder months.
Here’s my challenge for today….resist the urge to get caught up in drama! How can we do that? Stop talking so much! I like to watch the drama on the television (like last night’s new episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta), but drama in my daily life…not so much! Drama=stress and we all have enough stress without adding to it with petty drama so when people start talking about foolishness on today, don’t say a word. Better yet, walk away. Standing there listening to the mess can be just as bad as partaking in the conversation. Happy Monday and be blessed!    

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I hate drama! Foolishness is everywhere and not only do we have to stop it ourselves but the real challange is stoping those around us from filling our ears with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon...you're so right! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete